Saturday, February 7, 2009

Japanscapes~ 10 fav pictures from Japan

This was initially posted on my Facebook. Thought it would be nice to put it here too:

I had always wanted to get a DSLR. And during my exchange to Japan, I finally broke the piggy bank, after attending a free basic workshop conducted by Nikon for foreign students and deciding that my point-and-shoot has come to the end of its life cycle (it was already almost completely broken by then).

I picked the Nikon D40X, not just because it was relatively cheap (about $1000 with two kit lenses) but because I was most comfortable with its handling. And I'm glad I did, because the relatively compact size meant I was able to bring it out a lot. Some people will tell you, don't get the lowest end because you will want to upgrade it very soon if you're serious about photography. On hindsight, I don't quite agree. Whether you are serious or not, the camera must feel right in your hands. And you'd want to leave some money for some good lenses too, because a good camera can do nothing for you if you don't have the right lens for that job. But that's just me. :)

So after close to 18,000 shutter presses in Japan and 71 albums on Facebook, I'm happy to present to you my favourite 10 pictures of the lot. Some choices were easy, while others were more difficult to pick. I realised that most of the 10 were taken towards the end of my trip... I suppose I can take it as a sign of improvement in my skills?

Anyway, I hope you find something you like here! If you do, do drop a note!


Photobucket

"Sunset walk"
08.03.21 - Sunset at Murotomisaki, Kochi prefecture
I think luck has got a lot to do with good pictures, esp. when you're travelling. I came here to catch the sunset, and got a little bonus.

Photobucket
"Shoes off"
08.04.01 - Inakahama, on Yakushima Island
It's probably the only romantic couple shot I got throughout the year, but I love it. The beautiful beach made for a nice setting.

Photobucket
"Hanami"
08.04.03 - Daizaifu, Fukuoka prefecture, Kyushu
I love the framing here.
I captured this on the last day of my trip to the south of Japan in spring. I thought I would get to see the sakura early by going south, but it turned out that I was too early. I was very happy to actually see them in full blooom finally on that day.
When I returned to Tokyo, the sakura there had mostly withered by then! Turns out that Tokyo's sakura bloom the earliest.

Photobucket
"Wisteria Wonder"
08.05.07 - Ashikaga Flower Park
I was simply awestruck by the beauty of the wisteria, which blooms in spring. It was a long journey from Tokyo, but I was glad I actually went.

Photobucket
"Enter wonderland"
08.05.26 - Nikko
It was spring, but the trees are still bare because Nikko is situated in the highlands.
Here, I like how the bare branches of the trees interact with the blue sky, and how the trail leads into their midst. Has an aura of some dark fantasy.

Photobucket
"The Shinjuku Eye"
08.07.22 - Shinjuku Station, Tokyo
I had read about this way back in Feb when I was browsing the Wallpaper guide to Tokyo, but could never find it until what, two weeks before I left the country. I'm glad I did though!
As you can see, there is a stream of people walking past, but this is no where near the peak hour human traffic. I wonder if they ever notice the "eye".

Photobucket
"Into the clouds"
08.07.25 - Mount Fuji
I had a few shots similar to this one, but the B&W one does it for me. It was amazing to be walking above the clouds. Possibly the highest place I'll ever go to?

Photobucket
"Summer colours"
08.07.29 - Biei town, Hokkaido
I took this picture while walking around the town, and I thought that the dark pink flower stood out against its light pink companions. I really like the colours and composition in this one!

Photobucket
"Swing"
08.08.03 - Mashu, Hokkaido
I was disappointed with the fog initially, as it meant I couldn't do much sight-seeing. But it was exactly because of the fog that I ended up taking a walk to the farms around my hostel, and found this surreal sight. I had to frame the shot such that the farm houses around it couldn't be seen.

Photobucket
"Bliss"
08.08.04 - Kussharoko, Hokkaido
I'm not into fishing now, but if I could be like this elderly couple when I'm their age, I think I can be a contented man.


No comments: