Monday, September 13, 2010

Ricoh GXR + S10 Mini-Review


So I bought the Ricoh GXR with the S10 24-72mm f2.5-4.4 lens unit. It was partly because I needed to get a compact camera for my work trip to Pakistan, where I followed Singaporean humanitarian group Mercy Relief to report on their flood relief operations there.
Ricoh GXR + S10 unit. Picture from http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/

Prior to the trip, Hassan, the Chief Executive of Mercy Relief suggested that it's better to bring along a compact camera, as it is less conspicuous. If I were to bring along a DSLR, he said a small lens would be better. Therein lies the problem for me. I don't have any small zoom lenses to use with my Nikon D40X. The smallest lens I have is the Nikkor AIS 28mm f2.8, which neither meters nor is wide enough on the D40X. My other option was to bring the 28mm with the F6, but film is not a very practical option for the work I was doing (possibility of fogging at the airport scanners; can't publish the pictures until I get back to Singapore).

So it was the perfect excuse for me to get the GXR, which I'd read up so much on. Based on my budget and the reviews I have read, it was the best camera for the job.

Hooray for self-portrait possibilities again!

To be frank, I didn't quite get the system initially. It was an interesting concept, but it wasn't compatible with any of my current Nikon gear and Ricoh had effectively priced itself out of the market.

But more recently, I have realised the advantages of their approach:
  1. Because each lens unit can use a different sensor, it allows you to use both a lightweight travel zoom with a smaller sensor as well as a high-end prime or zoom lens with a DSLR type sensor on the same system. 
  2. That means you can basically use the same camera, albeit with different camera units, for all your photography needs. 
  3. Theoretically, it is possible to have a 35mm "full frame" sensor or even a medium format sized sensor unit on the GXR. 
The A12 50mm f2.5 macro unit, seen on the right, has a DSLR cropped frame-sized sensor. According to reviews, the image quality is as good as any other DSLR out there. Picture from http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/
    In other words, the system is extremely versatile, unlike cameras with fixed sensors, ie. everything else in the market now (with the exception of medium format cameras with interchangeable backs, but those are in a different league). My D40X, for example, is only small when I use it with a small lens like the 28mm. But it becomes a behemoth once I fix on my Nikkor AFS 24-70mm f2.8, a monster of a lens. The GXR can be portable when you need it to be, and in future, could expand to something much more.

    A size comparison: GXR vs the Nikon F6 with the 24-70mm f2.8 lens.

    Recently, Ricoh started selling the GXR as a kit with two of its lens units, starting with the new P10 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 and then the S10 24-72mm f2.5-4.4, which was released last year at the GXR's launch. Both are now selling at about S$700. For the S10 combo, it's almost half the price before it was packaged as a kit!

    So I was sold.


    Build Quality and Ergonomics

    When I first held the GXR in my hands hours after deciding on getting it, I was immediately impressed. It felt extremely solid and well-built, just as the reviews say. The magnesium alloy exterior — typically only used on high-end DSLRs — with ample rubber padding on the hand grip on the front and back of the camera exudes pure quality. It is lighter and smaller than any DSLR, yet heavy enough to give it enough heft for stability and big enough to hold comfortably.


    Menus and customisation

    Coming from a Nikon DSLR user's background, however, the menu system took me a while to get used to. The 200-page manual (it's not as daunting as it seems) was a great help in this, and I brought it along on my trip, as there was so much to learn. But once I figured things out, after about two days of irregular testing, I recognised the ingenuity behind the system — almost every button and function can be customised to your own shooting style. 

    The Fn1 and Fn2 buttons can be customised any quick setting. I have currently set "Macro target" on Fn1 and "AF/Snap" on Fn2. Picture from http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/


    AF Performance

    This is where the camera is a little disappointing. AF is definitely nowhere near the speed of the Nikon D40X.

    But there is a workaround — the Snap AF function. This basically allows you to set the camera to a specific focus distance, and when you press the shutter all the way without letting the camera autofocus, it will snap at that preset focus distance. This is basically the same as zone focusing. It is particularly useable because the camera tells you the depth of field with the chosen aperture setting. I've used it for everything from portraits to street photography. I usually set it to 1.5m or 2.5m (depending on distance of main subject from the camera), zoom out to 24-28mm and set the aperture to f4.6, which means everything from about 1m away to infinity would be in focus. It has worked perfectly.

    In fact, I believe the picture I took that eventually ended up on The Straits Times' page 1 on September 6 was also taken using Snap AF. (Please see the next post!)


    Image quality

    This was the main reason why I chose the S10 over the P10 unit, with its 10x zoom versatility. At higher ISOs, the S10 clearly stands out. From my own usage, I think the camera is easily usable up to ISO1600, and 3200 is usable in a pinch. While I think it does lose out in terms of sheer image quality compared to the Nikon D40X at all ISO levels, I feel it's good enough for my uses. 


    So there you have it, a quick run-down of what I like (lots) and dislike (slow AF) about the Ricoh GXR so far.  While it took a fair of getting used to initially, I have grown to enjoy using it so much that I'm even considering quitting DSLRs now. But maybe not so soon. The fourth camera unit is coming out this winter. It's a 28mm f2.5 lens with a DSLR-type sensor, which promises superb image quality, as seen from the 50mm. I'm eagerly waiting for its release, and at the same time, I hope Ricoh finds a remedy for the slow AF on the GXR system as a whole soon.

    In the meantime, please look out for some of my pictures taken on the Pakistan trip in my next post!

    No comments: