Sunday, February 20, 2011

Valentine’s Day Dinner at Forlino

It’s been a while since I actually celebrated Valentine’s Day. I suppose that’s lucky in a way, as I avoided spending on over-priced flowers and wrecking my brains over a good place to dine out.

Well I ran out of luck this year thanks to Joanne, so for the first time in years the day actually had some meaning! Kind of, anyway. As they say, every day is Valentine’s Day, right?

In any case, I wanted to go to a nice restaurant, and since I don’t read magazines and food reviews I was out of ideas, as usual. In the end, I stumbled upon a place called Forlino at One Fullerton, which I later discovered to be quite a well-known place. For me, only two things mattered though – good food and good location. Based on popular food rating site hungrygowhere, this place has generally good reviews. And I wanted to go to the Marina Bay area. That settled it.

This year’s Valentine’s Menu:

R0015282

Apertura (Amuse Bouche)

 
 
R0015288

Insalta di Astice con Asparagi, Aria al Coriandolo e Frutto della Passione (Lobster Salad with Asparagus,
Coriander Air and Passion Fruit Sauce)

 
 

R0015291

Flan di Zucca con Salsa di Fegato d’Oca
(Pumpkin Flan with Goose Liver Sauce)

 
 
R0015296

Ravioli di Bietole Rosse con Salsa al Taleggio (Beetroot Ravioli with Taleggio Cheese Sauce)

 
 
R0015300

For our main, I chose the Merluzzo Nero Arrostito su Orzotto con Funghi Porcini e Salsa di Piselli (Black Cod Filet with Barley Risotto, Porcini Mushrooms and Sweet Pea Sauce)

 
 
R0015301

While Joanne had the Controfiletto di Manzo con Timballino di Melanzanee e Salsa Aromatica (Grilled US Beef Sirloin with Eggplant Timbale and Aromatic Sauce)

 
 
R0015304

Morbida di Fragole al Profumo di Lime con Cuore di Cioccolato
(Lime Scented Strawberry Mousse with Chocolate Heart)

 

Sorry that the photos aren’t fantastic, as 1) It wasn’t a photography outing to begin with and 2) the restaurant was very dimly lit.

The meal cost me quite a bit, but unfortunately, we both didn’t find the food outstanding. Quite disappointing, as I was expecting a lot more. The service was good, however.

At the end of the day, I was happy that we had a good evening out.

But maybe I won’t be so extravagant next year!

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Ahem. Ran out of luck, you say?

More like, you got lucky this year!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

yes madam!