Friday, June 10, 2011

It starts with a mini project at Serangoon

Two weeks ago, I attended a four-day course on “Visual Journalism”. I had been looking forward to this course, because I have always been interested in visual design.

And I came away inspired to do more photographic work.

The course, which revolved around the effective use of photographs and graphics in print design, was conducted by Mr Peter Ong, a former journalist who now runs his own consultancy. He is a guru at newspaper and magazine design, and has worked with publications all over the world, including in China, India and South Africa. He writes a blog about media trends and his work here

 
DSC_8296

A “No Peddling” sign at the old Serangoon Bus Interchange. Until I visited the place that day, I don’t think I had seen such a sign in Singapore! In a way I think it shows the age of the place.

 

On the last day of the course, we were assigned in groups of 4 to 5 people to do a simple report, with the use of graphics and photos. We had the whole morning to do it. My group was given the task of doing a photo essay on something around Serangoon Central.

We didn’t have much time, and after a quick discussion at the McDonald’s outlet in nex mall and a brief survey of the mall’s surroundings, we decided to feature the Serangoon Bus Interchange, which is slated to cease operations this September after 23 years in use, with the opening of the integrated, air-conditioned one at nex mall.

On hindsight, I’m quite happy that we chose to feature the bus interchange. The one in Ang Mo Kio – where I live – was taken down many years back, to be replaced by the air-conditioned one at Ang Mo Kio hub. It’s a pity I don’t quite remember how it looks like any more. Visiting the Serangoon one brought back some flashes of memory.

 
DSC_8289

It was late morning, and there weren’t many people around. The signs indicating the bus numbers on each side of the interchange are clear and easy to read. I was also reminded of how spacious the old interchanges are – mainly because of their high ceilings.

 
 
DSC_8275

A man sits on the railing as he waits for his bus. I remember doing that last time at Ang Mo Kio’s old interchange too. The railings used in the new upgraded interchanges somehow seem more narrow and harder to sit on that way.

 
 
DSC_8281

A man talks on the pay phone. With the ubiquity of mobile phones, these are increasingly hard to come by.

 
 
DSC_8283

The deities will need to find a new home too, once the interchange is vacated later this year.

 
 
DSC_8285

These old-timers will soon be able to while away their time on benches in an air-conditioned hall instead.

 
 
DSC_8309

The panels may be old and yellowed, but the campaign posters are new.

 

I quite liked the photos I managed to take in the short hour or so we spent at the interchange. And our final product, which was done in the format of a mocked-up page for print, reminded me of how powerful a cohesive set of images can be.

 
Serangoon Interchange PDF
 

Since that day, I’d been thinking about new journalistic projects I could work on. I have a few rough ideas, and hopefully I will see some of them to fruition.

********************************

Special thanks to Mavis, Norman and Kai for the collaboration for the class project!

No comments: