Saturday, March 17, 2012

A little bit of Mosaic

Was wondering what to do last Sunday, so I checked out the Esplanade website for some ideas. So it happens, the annual Mosaic Music Festival is on, and there are many free performances at the venue.

Incidentally, I’d found a very decent offer for a second-hand Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 lens on a local photography forum, and bought it just before heading down to the Esplanade.

Armed with my latest acquisition (I’d added the Nikkor AIS 24mm f2 just the week before too), I took some photos of the performances at the cosy HTC Living Room, a free venue, while enjoying the music at the same time.

I hadn’t been shooting gigs for quite a while (not since the Brown Eyed Girls in 2010 and a mini J-rock concert in 2009), but I think I might get started on doing more of this…

 
DSC_9498

Nicholas Tan of jazz sextet V-v-v-voyager in his element at the HTC Living Room. The group is one of the few groups under the "Bright Young Things” programme to mentor young jazz musicians in Singapore.

 
 
DSC_9495

Spruce Teo on the saxophone. He seemed quite uncomfortable on stage, as he kept looking at the lead vocalist. On another note, why do girls find saxophonists sexy? I always thought bassists are cooler.

 
 
DSC_9521

Deborah Jean Lee of the Black Shirts, also from the “Bright Young Things” programme

 
 
DSC_9510

Ong Shi Chun of the Black Shirts doing a trumpet solo

 
 
DSC_9524

Nicholas Lee and Marcus Szeto of the Black Shirts on the guitar and bass. Yes, they all wore black shirts that day.

 
 
DSC_9612

A change of pace in the evening, with the Murder Mouse Blues Band from Australia taking the stage. As you can see, the seats at the HTC Living Room are actually just bean bags. I would like to have a bean bag living room next time too!

 
 
DSC_9622

A little bit of showmanship from Jon Edwards, who played the banjo, acoustic and electric guitars.

 
 
DSC_9649

Vocalist Adam Morris is the least animated of the three band members (and thus the hardest to shoot), but hey, every musician has his own way of enjoying himself.

 
 
DSC_9642

Warren Hall on drums

 

More to come!

On a side note, I will be watching British band elbow at the closing concert tomorrow. Only the cheapest tickets were available by the time I went to book, but I’m sure the music will make up for the poor view. Looking forward to it!

No comments: