Friday, March 11, 2011

Hong Kong’s Trams

I am quite a fan of retro-themed things.

Last year, I overpaid for a second-hand Nikon F3HP on eBay because I simply dug the beautiful retro-styling – the engraved shutter speed dial, the film advance lever, the memo holder, etc... Unfortunately, I have since sold it because I realised I enjoy using the F6 much more. (But now the new Fujifilm X100 digital camera is piquing my interest)

I enjoy using classic Nikkor manual focus lenses now, maybe a bit too much because I hardly use my digital-age autofocus lenses any more.

I asked for a second-hand, West Germany-made leather camera bag I’d spotted at a shop for my birthday last year. Yes you read that right: West Germany. It’s hardly the most practical bag because it isn’t too big but it definitely turns some heads.

Anyway this post is about none of these things. It is about Hong Kong’s trams, which have been running since 1904.

During my recent trip to Hong Kong, I stayed in Hong Kong Island, where Hong Kong Tramways runs six east-west lines traversing the main districts. Known as “Ding ding” to Hong Kongers, it is probably the most cost-efficient way to traverse the various interesting spots across Hong Kong Island, from the street markets of Wanchai to the skyscrapers of Central.

On the second day of our trip, we decided to go to the Causeway Bay area for food and shopping, and since the tram goes there, I couldn’t pass up the chance to sit on one of them.

 
R0014997

A tram stops in front of the historic Bank of China building, just opposite the Legco.

 

The first thing you would probably notice about the trams is their width – to me they really look like flattened double decker buses! For the passenger though, this just translates to less seats. The aisle is narrow too but similar to Singapore buses, I think.

 
R0015015

A view of the tram behind mine. No overtaking here!

 
 
R0015016

Taken at the back of the tram. I believe the pressure dial is no longer in use…

 
 
R0015019

Also taken at the back of the tram. They are switches for the front and back doors. Again, I think they are no longer in use.

 
 
R0015027

With a flat fare of just HK$2 (S$0.40), travelling on the tram is very economical. In fact I wonder how they make money.

 

It’s funny how the tram is integrated into the road network on Hong Kong Island. The tracks usually run in the middle of the road, but where the roads are more narrow, they actually cut into the lanes for normal vehicles. They follow the same traffic lights too.

 
R0015025

Joanne reading the map. She did almost all the navigation for the trip. Quite a refreshing change for me!

 

We took the tram home that evening too.

While I liked taking the tram, it’s a pity the network is pretty much limited to Hong Kong Island. I only used it on that day. I have never taken buses in Hong Kong though, so I’m not sure how they compare.

The fast and efficient MTR is probably still likely to be the most used mode of transport for tourists like me.

Nonetheless, I think the tram is cool because it’s like a relic of the past, and yet still very relevant to Hong Kongers today. I hope they will continue to operate and reach their 200th anniversary. That may involve raising the flat fare though!

No comments: