Sunday, March 6, 2011

How Marina Bay has changed!

As mentioned here, I went to Forlino’s at One Fullerton for my Valentine’s dinner on Feb 13. Part of the reason why I was hunting for a place near the Marina Bay area, was that Joanne told me on a couple of occasions that it is great for an evening stroll.

So that helped me narrow down the search, which was always going to be hard given my lack of expertise in this area.

I believed my last time here was more than a year ago – when the Marina Bay Sands was still under construction! And I was really impressed by the transformation the area has undergone since then.

 
R0015317

Marina Bay Sands, with the iconic three towers (aka ancestral tablets) and the sky park (aka banana boat or space ship) on top. I think the lotus inspired design of the ArtScience Museum looks like a hand pointing the middle finger at Singapore, but don’t quote me on this… The Helix Bridge is on the left, while the complex on the right is the shopping arcade of Bay Sands.

 

The whole bayfront area is now linked by walkways and bridges, which means you can now walk a full round about the bay area. It was really breezy that evening, which made it a pleasant walk. (though in the end, we had to quicken our footsteps to make it to Forlino in time for our sitting)

In fact, it felt as if I was in another country. Which is quite cool because Singapore doesn’t have too many interesting places to visit.

 
R0015320

The famous Merlion undergoing a transformation… to become a five-star hotel room during the 2011 Singapore Biennale. The Esplanade is in the background, but you can’t really see it here.

 

With the area buzzing now, there’s more reason than ever to consider a stay-cation at the Bay Sands. The hotel’s infinity pool, in case you haven’t heard about it, looks absolutely stunning.

No comments: