Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mayflower wet market at 3pm

Please see the earlier post for an introduction.

After waking up past 2pm, I decided to finish the second half of my roll. So off I headed to the market again, to capture some scenes at a time when most of the stores would have closed.

F1000026
The friendly yong tau foo seller was the last to finish washing up her store.
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

F1000022
Styrofoam boxes stacked up at the fish store.
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

F1000024
Fish seller with Mediacorp artistes. He has some talents of his own, check out the the fish drawings!
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

F1000028
Boots hung up to dry.
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

F1000034
Condensed milk tins lined up against the wall. Yes, I love the tins because it evokes a sense of nostalgia for me.
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

F1000036
All the shutters were down by around 4pm.
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009.

It was overall a very fun experience. I was initially quite fearful of getting scolded -- Singaporeans don't seem to like being photographed -- but it turned out all right. In fact, the friendlier store holders I chatted to were quite game to be photographed. A smile can go a long way sometimes.

I've chosen my photos for the final submission -- compiled a series based on the friendly butchers, and a couple of single shots. I hope my photos will be chosen for exhibition!

No comments: