Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ten days into 2010, recapping 2009

As I grow older, time seems to have flown by faster and faster.

Anyway, 2009 was quite an eventful year for my photography. Joined the university photo club and made some good friends there in my final term of school. Went big on strobist for a period and made some crazy shots like this, this and this. Travelled for the first time since Japan, to Europe. And did a photo of the day series of the trip on this blog. (Maybe I should compile the pictures into an album somewhere) And oh, I revived this blog after creating it in 2008 and leaving it blank.

Last but not least, I decided to switch to mainly shooting film instead of digital. (and along came a new gem of a lens, the Nikon AF 85mm f/1.4D, to match the focal length of my 60mm on my D40x, which I'd become so comfortable with)

JPEG34
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009.

So what's for 2010?

It's started with some personal problems, so perhaps my mind isn't the clearest at the moment.

But some foreseeable developments:
  1. New gear: Nikon F3HP (for lighter day-to-day use, or even to replace my beloved F6 because of its weight and bulk); A real wide angle lens for full frame; A new digital body, maybe Nikon D300s or D700 (Because I still want to do strobist work, and I'm not sure how long I can put up with scanning film)
  2. New direction: I discovered how much I enjoyed photographing people last year, both it street or portraiture. So I hope to explore more opportunities in this area.
  3. Singapore archival project: There are still many corners of Singapore that are worth exploring and shooting. I finally checked out Kampung Lorong Buangkok -- the last Kampung on mainland Singapore -- last year. Some places are hard to access without a car, but let's see what I can do. It'll be even better if I can go one step further -- shooting something worthy of publication in the papers.
  4. Complete a series: I want to submit something for the Singapore International Photography Festival 2010. Time is running out though, so if I don't make it for this one, I will still try to do a series for my own portfolio.
  5. Online activity: I hope to update both my blog and flickr more often. I also hope to start a proper personal online portfolio (provided I have enough quality work to warrant the effort)
Here's wishing everyone a fruitful 2010. お互いに頑張りましょう!


2 comments:

Dor said...

AND....am looking fwd to seeing more gorgeous pix! :)

Unknown said...

Heh thanks dor, sure hope I can put better pictures this year. :)