Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mayflower wet market at 6am

I took part in the Eye e City event on Dec 31 last year, for the first time. The idea is to capture moments in Singapore on the last day of the year, as part of a wider archival project.

I'd already thought of shooting a wet market before this -- in fact I was looking to returning to the Jurong wholesale fish market for the first time since 2005 for some shots. I was there previously as a journalist intern sussing out places where "aunties" (housewives past their 30s) go bargain-hunting for a special report. (I was hardly the best person for the piece, but someone had to do it!)

But I worked on Dec 30 till late, so there was no way I could make it to the wholesale market. (the peak of the activity is around 2 to 3am). So I downscaled my idea and went to the wet market opposite my apartment block. How convenient!

Some shots:

F1000002
A couple cycling in the open space in front of the market. Hmmm. 
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009.

F1000006
A lone man reading the papers at the coffeeshop.
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

F1000014
Breakfast! And coffee in a condensed milk tin. Nostalgic.
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

F1000009
Already a queue at the fish store.
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

F1000010
Very friendly butcher couple. They were the first people I spoke to that morning. And guess what, they used to live in the same block as me, on the same floor!
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

F1000018
Tools of the butcher trade.
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009. 

The pictures were taken on Ilford XP2 Super, provided by the organisers. They also processed and scanned the shots for us. Which I'm quite thankful for.

I went back with breakfast at around 7am, and then off to bed. More to come.

No comments: