Monday, June 1, 2009

Grad Trip - Photo of the Day 25

May 16, I was 'adopted' by a bunch of fun Neapolitans. In a bid to attract more tourists, the city has inaugurated a new programme whereby locals 'adopt' tourists in groups and bring them around the city. I was grouped with an Australian couple and our adopters are a group of Neapolitan university students. My adopters first brought us to Sorbillo for lunch:

Photobucket

It was quite a spread. And they introduced me to the shop's specialty: the Nonno Luigi. The pizza is folded into half and the fillings are on the inside. It is first fried and then baked in the oven. It tasted amazing. (I would have it again when R arrived two days later)

After lunch, we went for a 2-hour guided tour of Naples' underground ruins. Quite interesting, especially when you realise that the entrance to one of the two sites is hidden among normal residences:

Photobucket

That's the tour guide by the way. Very funny Italian guy!

We then bid our farewells, and I lingered around the historical centre of Naples, mainly around Piazza Dante to take some street photos. Some interesting ones:

Photobucket
Old ladies chatting on the street...

Photobucket
One of many vendors selling granita di limone with
a traditional pushcart in Naples.

Photobucket
I saw quite a few kids dressed up like that. I wonder
what the old man thinks...

Photobucket
These friendly chaps showed me the only fish they
managed to catch that evening... Hope they got more
in the end! That's Mt Vesuvius in the background btw.

My favourite of the day is this one. Ok, technically... it's two pictures. But I had to give the second shot context...

Photobucket
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009.

Not the most exciting day, but a day to see Naples for what it is. Good enough for me.

2 comments:

Minru said...

Hey Zhaowei,

Its Minru here! I love your photos! Looks like you are having a really great time! Anyway, you mentioned adopters?? How do you get about being adopted? Is there a website to register or an office to go to?

Unknown said...

Hey Minru!

I'm not sure how the programme is run exactly -- it was the first time they did it and it was a little messy. I was lucky to be in Naples when they inaugurated the programme. I was informed about it by my hostel -- Hostel of the Sun. I recommend this place because it's relatively cheap and has a good vibe to it.

If you want more info just drop me a message on facebook or email me!

Zhaowei