Monday, May 11, 2009

Grad Trip - Photo of the Day 11

May 2, the day I explored Florence. The first day here was spent almost entirely in the Uffizi, and the previous was spent in Siena. Given that we were leaving on the following day, this was actually the only day in Florence proper. Anyway because it was a Saturday, the main tourist areas were packed to the brim.

Started out at the central market, a two-storey building that housed shops selling a range of mainly Tuscan products ranging from herbs and vegetables to wine and meat. While the ground floor is like a mall selling dry foodstuffs and wine, the first floor is similar to a wet market:

Photobucket

As we were leaving, we passed by a shop selling Parma ham and we were offered some samples.

Photobucket

I quite liked it and asked the guy to make me a sandwich. It was delicious when I ate it later in the day -- the dried tomatoes were especially heavenly. (Luckily I bought some that morning! Haha.)

Later on in the day, I visited the Duomo, the Ponte Vecchio and Piazza Michaelangelo, among other places. Also got terribly lost while trying to find my way to San Miniato Al Monte, a basilica that offers stunning views of Florence. San Miniato is quite a nice place though, and I will be putting up a series on Facebook soon...

The photo of the day was taken during the day, when I was trying to find my way to Santa Croce (didn't manage to find it in the end because I had to turn back).

Photobucket
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009.

That's about it for Florence. The next day, we head on to Rome.

No comments: