Saturday, May 9, 2009

Grad Trip - Photo of the Day 8

April 29, the second and final day in Venice. More like a half-day, as we had to travel down to Florence that evening. Given the time constraints, we only went to the Ca' D' Oro, a palazz0-turned-musuem that houses several important works from the Venetian school. Unfortunately, the rain started pouring towards the end of our visit, which left us stranded there for a while. After that, because we still had some time left, we went about doing a little last-minute shopping. I finally managed to find my Venetian mask then.

Many of the souvenir shops in Venice sell the same few things: said Venetian masks, Murano glass products etc. And this tiny Murano glass item -- about 3cm in diameter -- really caught my eye:

Photobucket

But for 15 euros, I'd rather go for some gelato and pizza... If it cost less than 10 euros, I would have bought it for sure! It's ridiculously cute.

But my photo of the day would be this street snap, of a gondolier and his friend -- or was it just a random stranger? That might explain the bemused look on his face.

Photobucket
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009.

The trip to Florence was quick and uneventful. But I was in for a pleasant surprise when I reached my hostel that night -- Ostello Archi Rossi. It's almost the perfect hostel imho. More to come...

3 comments:

dor said...

It's cute, but hardly ridiculous! haha. Reminds me of finding nemo for some wierd reason.

Joan said...

Hey,
I was reminded of finding Nemo too!
And it would be really interesting to know the back story between the gondelier and his friend/random stranger. Are they locked in some staring match?

Unknown said...

haha all u nemo fans... but you may just be right.