Saturday, May 16, 2009

Grad Trip - Photo of the Day 16

May 7, the day R left for Brussels (and then home), while I headed to the sleepy port town of Salerno alone. During the planning stages of the trip I was actually looking forward to this part of the trip, but despite our squabbles earlier on, R has proven to be a good travelling companion. But well, the trip must go on.

Sent her to the airport that morning, and while waiting for my train back to central Rome took this with my 60mm -- I'd only brought the camera with this lens and nothing else for the sending-off.

Photobucket

The Leonardo Express is the expensive but fast and direct train back to the central station. I took the half-price option, which was only a little slower.

And I managed to snap a shot of the metro trains on the way back too. It amuses me that they are so badly vandalised.

Photobucket

As mentioned I was a little down that day, and somehow was quite tired too. I hadn't been sleeping a lot the whole trip -- trying to stay up after long days of sightseeing to fix up the photos and doing these posts had taken its toll on me, I suppose.

But this day was a turning in another way-- it marked the revival of my 16-85mm lens, which had almost never been used so far in this trip. The first reason is simple: now that I'm alone, it's a little more tricky to keep changing lenses (which is quite necessary with the 60mm + 12-24mm combination that I'd been using till now) as there is no one to look out for me. Another reason is that I'm now on the Amalfi coast, where there is plenty of sea and sky, unlike the first half of the trip. And I only have a polariser for my 16-85mm.

Ok I ramble too much. I'd gotten a restaurant recommendation from the desk staff member at my hostel, and had dinner there. Salerno is a small town and probably doesn't see too many tourists, and the restaurant was accordingly homely. Had spaghetti with clams and grilled fish with a dessert sampler. Fantastic stuff. And this was the kindly man who served me:

Photobucket
© Lin Zhaowei
, 2009.


He couldn't really speak much English, and me Italian, but it kinda worked out in the end, with the help of my phrasebook. (thanks to Jasmin for persuading me to get one) Oh and this was the day when everyone started thinking I'm Japanese.

Onward to more adventures along the Amalfi coast as a fake Japanese tourist...


1 comment:

dor said...

on the metro trains: not vandalized.. enhanced! :P