Monday, May 11, 2009

Grad Trip - Photo of the Day 13

May 4, we went to the Vatican. I woke up this morning feeling a little unwell, and we bought me some medicine before heading across the Tiber river to the holy city. We visited St. Peter's Square and St. Peter's Basilica, both of which were beautiful. No offence, but I do think it is a little ostentatious for a place of worship. Some pictures:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After that, we headed for a restaurant recommended by Lonely Planet. Took us a very long time to get there as we took a wrong turn and got lost, and when we finally got there, the place had just closed for the afternoon. So we feasted at another restaurant just across the road for our efforts. Ordered a whole list of Italian specialty dishes and had a great meal! I also had a good rest there, because the preceeding walk had gotten my head spinning. Here's a dish made of stuffed artichoke:

Photobucket

Can't quite describe the taste, but take my word for it-- it's delicious.

In the evening, we walked to a couple of sights back in central Rome, and my photo of the day would be this picture of the Trevi Fountain:

Photobucket
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009.

Incidentally, I bumped into an acquaintance from my university at the fountain that evening, and I learnt that she and her friend will be travelling in Europe for about two months. Then I said I was spending 4 weeks in Italy, which drew typical why-aren't-you-visiting-more-countries and isn't-4-weeks-too-long-for-Italy responses from them. Nope, I ain't visiting more countries because I don't have the time or money, and 4 weeks is too short for Italy, actually. I'd spent a year in tiny Japan and I don't think I'd seen more than half of what it has to offer. So there!

Anyway Rome is quite an amazing city -- there are so many archaeological/historical sites scattered all over the place that you really start to take it for granted. More to come...

No comments: