Saturday, May 23, 2009

Grad Trip - Photo of the Day 20

May 11, a day of mixed fortunes. After lunch, I headed down to Amalfi, where I caught my bus to Positano. Unfortunately, I couldn't communicate my destination to the bus driver and got off at the wrong stop. Turns out that there are two stops in Positano, one very near my hostel, and one very far from it. Positano, anyway, is known as the most beautiful town in the Amalfi coast and I'll agree. But it's hardly the best place to take a walk around -- the roads are long, winding and very slopy. The secret to getting around is to find the secret stairs that run through the town, just that a newcomer like me wouldn't have known about them. The map is useless too, because the terrain is too hilly to make any sense out of it. A shot I took along the way:

Photobucket

You can tell the views were breath-taking, but I was already a little short of breath hauling my pack up the hill.

Somehow I made it to my hostel and soon after, in came three Spanish ladies who'd checked in for the night. And they invited me to join them on a motor boat that they were going to rent at the beach. How can I say 'no' to that? Haha. Anyway the sunlight was beautiful that evening, and I put my gear to some use that evening:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

But my favourite has to be this one:

Photobucket
© Lin Zhaowei, 2009.

All the while I was a little worried that the boat will capsize, since ALL my camera equipment was with me, but we were lucky. Thanks to Ana, Alicia and Alejandro for the wonderful evening!

And that night, I saw a red moon for the first time ever. A slight pity that I deleted the pictures by accident, but they didn't do justice to the beauty of the view anyway. And to anyone interested to staying in Positano on the cheap, Hostel Brikette is where you want to be.

5 comments:

dor said...

zw..the last few photos are stunning.. great colours!! and like some avart garde fashion photography shoot.. i likess!

Unknown said...

hey thanks dor! it was a very fun shoot. i guess some of the best things really do happen by chance! :p

Sophia said...

hello i got you stuff from Philippines!

i see you're enjoying yourself with hot Spanish girls huh :P
anyway, very very awesome pictures!

Unknown said...

hee thanks :p the boat ride was really a blast.

Shermeen Ng said...

OMG i didn't know u went to italy around the same time as i did!! i was staying near sorrento at my friend's house in august last yr and i went to all the places u mentioned! positano, capri, pompeii....so memorable just by looking at your photos!